What a great “3 day weekend” – 3 days of Route 66 Marathon activities and another $29 for the kids at the YMCA. It was a busy weekend, but I am already looking forward to next year.
Here are some of the best items of the weekend
Friday Night at volunteer check-in
- Many volunteers checking in including groups of 40+ people
- Several runners stopped to check in. When we told them "this was volunteer check in and racers are one more down" we had several friends and family say "I can volunteer. Where do you need me?" We had at least 20 people sign up that night.
Saturday 5K with YMCA
- Plan: be the sweeper for 150 first time runners and encourage them in.
- Revised plan (revised by Summer at T -1:00 on the start line): "keep an eye on these two kids"
- Reaction: "What? Me? They are fast."
- Results: finished in 31 min with Nacho and Josiah
Sunday Route 66 Full Marathon
- Best sign: 15th & Peoria "Way to go random stranger. You're doing great"
- Best water stop: Cascia Hall. Man with megaphone directing traffic into the restrooms
- Best unofficial aid station: Cold beer at mile 17
- Best course location: "Mile 25.9"
- Best sight: My family cheering me along Peoria and at the finish line.
Your’s truly at the finish line. Found out later this was a 18 minute PR (over Oklahoma City). Finished in 5:20 - enough for 9th in the “big boys” division.
Next year I’ll carry camera.